I am in Europe once a year. Mentally it is a very big change when I go back to the old continent. One of the things that catches my attention is the abundance of food. Coming straight from Cuba it seems like mountains of food. A normal gas station in Europe has more food to sell than five SUPERMARKETS in Cuba.
If a Cuban can find money to go to a restaurant and he can't finish his plate you can be sure that he will bring the leftovers back home in a "doggy back" for later consummation. I remember that when I first moved to Cuba it provoked me when one of my Cuban friends wanted to do this. It was for me - the spoiled European - just too much. IT'S JUST FOOD. COME ON?!
I have now changed my view completely. I now admire the Cubans for asking for these doggy backs - which the restaurants always gladly provide. And the Cuban bringing such a doggy back of left overs back home seldom eats it himself. In most cases he will give it to a family member or a friend. Others should also enjoy this rich restaurant food.
For us THE SPOILED EUROPEANS food has lost its value. I can't remember seeing anyone bringing leftovers back home from restaurants in Europe. And I am sure that people would even feel embarrassed if somebody at the table would want to do it. That was how I felt when I first moved to Cuba. Well, not any more. Now I feel embarrassed of that old me who took food for granted.
My Cuban wife likes to cook and she likes to cook for me. I feel lucky. Cuban food is very simple, but I have learned to love it. In Europe it's common to eat what you feel like eating that particular day. In Cuba you eat what you can get your hands on. Sometimes there's no potatoes but then there might be malanga. And that's just the way it is. But when you then finally can have potatoes because they once again sell them in the grocery market you just appreciate them even more.
When I am in Europa I can have everything always. I am in Europe now. In Berlin to be specific. It's wonderful that I so easily can find quality food everywhere. Just for a change. But actually I already - after only two days - start to miss the lack of food. Food is just better when you can't take it for granted.
It seems to me that this applies to a lot of other things also ...
No comments:
Post a Comment